Before going to Switzerland, I rarely ate bread. Then I encountered Swiss bread and became utterly addicted. I have only one criticism of one kind of Swiss bread roll ... the kind that rips your mouth lining and breaks your teeth because it is so crusty - though it is still tastes great. Unfortunately, that kind is often used to make takeaway sandwiches.
That aside if I were a poet I would write an ode to Swiss bread (perhaps I should try some time when I am in a lyrical frame of mind).
Bread in Australia includes possibly the worst of breed (but I reserve my right to label certain kinds of American bread in that way) ... but also the best of some breeds. The thing is whether I can be bothered to eat my way through a lot of second rate stuff to get to the real gems. I do remember Dallas fruit bread available from delis around Sydney and I will make an effort to find that. But of course it is more like fruitcake than bread and you'd only want to eat one small slice a day unless you were on a mission to enlarge your waistline.
I am told by my friends in London that you can get bread in the UK just as good as any continental bread and I will reserve my judgement, not having had the opportunity to sample much. I guess once the French started crossing the channel on a daily basis it became a matter of survival for the British to lift their game.
So in short if I were forced to live on just bread, please let it be Swiss bread.
By the way, if you are looking to find ready-made pastry in a Swiss supermarket so you look like an experienced pastry chef when you serve up your home-made pies and pastries, you do not look in the freezer section. You look on a cool but not frosty shelf in or near the bread section of the supermarket.
That aside if I were a poet I would write an ode to Swiss bread (perhaps I should try some time when I am in a lyrical frame of mind).
Bread in Australia includes possibly the worst of breed (but I reserve my right to label certain kinds of American bread in that way) ... but also the best of some breeds. The thing is whether I can be bothered to eat my way through a lot of second rate stuff to get to the real gems. I do remember Dallas fruit bread available from delis around Sydney and I will make an effort to find that. But of course it is more like fruitcake than bread and you'd only want to eat one small slice a day unless you were on a mission to enlarge your waistline.
I am told by my friends in London that you can get bread in the UK just as good as any continental bread and I will reserve my judgement, not having had the opportunity to sample much. I guess once the French started crossing the channel on a daily basis it became a matter of survival for the British to lift their game.
So in short if I were forced to live on just bread, please let it be Swiss bread.
By the way, if you are looking to find ready-made pastry in a Swiss supermarket so you look like an experienced pastry chef when you serve up your home-made pies and pastries, you do not look in the freezer section. You look on a cool but not frosty shelf in or near the bread section of the supermarket.
Comments